Monday 21 December 2020

AWW: Val Alabaster's blog and Funeral Service Programme

                                   AWW Lockdown Walk : UK Kent branch

I cannot possibly compete with the excellent lockdown blogs that have been published  - no brilliant photos and no exciting dog rescues , no audio or famous landmarks, but maybe reading this may make you realise that your life is quite exciting!

 




Start – Garden in Lees Court Sheldwich. Fig 1: Since there was no-one round to take my photo, have included one from VE day so more people can see my union jack Stetson. (1st disregard of blog guidelines---).

 


Out of side gate, Fig 2 and across field passing huge majestic chestnut tree full of white candles (Fig 3),  down through some woods entering Sheldwich valley.





Fig 4  View along valley.  All the May blossom is out but  although sunny, nip in air so decided not to cast a clout and this year abide by the other interpretation. Fig 5





Up a steep hill ( Kentish steep), and across several fields of sheep. Fig 6 ( deviation – this photo was taken 2 weeks ago – same field but lambs were much cuter when smaller!).

 

A long walk through some bluebell woods ( see Bob and Maggie blog for good bluebells). And out into the apple orchards. Both the bluebells and the apple blossom are now past their best (bit like me but they will come back next year in all their glory wheras-----).

I am now surrounded by acres of apple trees as far as I can see in all directions. Fig 7. I am not sure who is going to pick all these apples in the autumn but will not get into politics today – no-one to argue with.



Ascend through Badlesmere Woods along lovely dappled shaded path Fig 8  This is  pheasant rearing country, and passed several pheasant feeders. Fig 9 (some blogs have trig points, others have pheasant feeders).




Out into more agricultural land past vast fields of rape with its strong sickly smell.  Dobbin (Fig 10)  ignored me totally and I eventually descended back into the valley and a quick chat to the cows. (Blurry picture of bored cows omitted).


A small diversion to photograph an oast house (Fig 11) to prove I am in Kent, before heading back to the village. Past the cricket pitch where a hopeless optimist is mowing the outfield of the cricket pitch. (I did not photograph him in case he thought I was going to report him to the age police!).





Back home, well in time for an early Happy Hour (which seems to be getting earlier by the day----). Fig 12

 


I am sure this blog will have too much blatant disregard for blog guidelines, too many not very interesting photos and too much waffle to be accepted for publication. But at least I have enjoyed doing it and it has been the second most exciting thing that has happened this week – second only to the long awaited Tesco delivery!

 

Stats ( from fitbit watch – sorry Paul)

Walk length: 6.3 miles (10.138 km – approx.)

Ascent : 17 staircases

Walking time: 2.5 hours (including stops to talk to animals and trees)

Participants 1

Tilley hats 0

Dogs 0

Bananas – it was only a half a banana walk.

 

I do hope I will become a real Algarve walker later this year.

Best wishes to all

Val

__________________________________________________________


Sadly, Val never made it back to the Algarve and died on Valentine's Day in 2021. Comments from her fellow walkers are attached, along with her funeral service, and a nice photo from Yves of Val at Fontes de Estombar, November 2019:





 

          A Service of Thanksgiving For The                    Life of

Valerie Ann Alabaster ‘Val’

26th May 1941 – 14th February 2021




St James Church, Sheldwich

Thursday 11th March 2021 1.30pm


                Music at Entry

Psalm 148, Lord who has made us for thine own Gustav Holst

Sung by Tenebrae

         Welcome, Introduction and Opening                     Prayer Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he refreshes my soul.

He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.

4 Even though I walk

through the darkest valley,[a] I will fear no evil,

for you are with me; your rod and your staff,

they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,

and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

         Memories from Val’s                        family 

                    Music

Meditation from Thaïs – Massenet

Alda Dizdari ­ Violin

                          Poem

Instructions, by Rev. Arnold Crompton


                                                  Reading

1Corinthians 13

                     Reflection

A Time of Prayer,

Concluding with ‘The Lord’s Prayer’

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name;

thy kingdom come; thy will be done;

on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses,

as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.

Prayers of Commendation

Val, you shared your life with us, God give eternal life to you.

You gave your love to us,

God give his deep love to you. You gave  your time to us, God give his eternity to you, You gave your light to us,

God give everlasting light to you. Go upon your journey, dear Val

To love, light, and life eternal. Amen.

        The Prayer of Blessing Music at Exit

Love Divine all Loves Excelling

Hyfrydol


The Service will conclude with the Committal for family at Charing Crematorium

 

 


 


You
can close your eyes and pray that she will come back

 Or you can open your eyes and see all that she has left.

You can shed tears that she is gone

 Or you can smile because she has lived.

 

 

Any donations gratefully received to Cruse Bereavement Care in memory of Valerie Alabaster http://www.cruse.org.uk/donate

 

 

 


14 comments:

  1. Most entertaining Val, and sorry it has taken me so long to post it for you. Lovely memories of a hot summer, albeit a mainly locked-down one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely blog, thanks for bringing us a British perspective. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pleasantly droll blog providing a relaxed view of life in a county I should know better.
    Take care over there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. England is such a green and pleasant land just a pity about the temperatures.
    Do get well soon and hope to see you in 2021.
    I still have your socks safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, Val. Thank you for taking us to the Garden of England. Thank you to Henry VIII for naming this county!! The beautiful, Oast houses; a marvel. I have a heavy heart scribing this when you look marvellous, do take care and get well very soon. Chin up 'ole girl. Jan & Otter xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to unfortunately add that Val has sadly just passed away. Her good humour will always remain in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A charming lady and delightful walking companion.....so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I met Val, I was to discover we had something in common. She was the only non-resident AWW apart from myself at that time. She'll be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Val Alabaster

    Memories from the AWW ( Algarve Wednesday Walkers) Past & Present

    " Dinah and I were so very sad to hear that Val has passed away. She was a delightful, positive lady who took part in our walks with great enthusiasm. She also remembered things that other walkers told her about their own lives, and would ask about them after intervals of several months, a caring aspect of character that not many of us possess. We shall all miss her. Sincere condolences to you, Colin, and to your family."
    David and Dinah Littlewood.

    “Really sorry to her about Val. It was quite a shock to hear the sad news. We knew her from the AWW walks and also, she sometimes joined us on the Monday walks. You may remember us as we had lunch together at Pam and Nicks onetime.

    She was a very nice lady and such a good walker. We will remember her in the good times and we hope you will be able to too. PS. We have retired from working and become resident in the Algarve.”
    Linda and Russell

    She was a lovely woman and will be missed by her family.
    Lindsey Henley-Welch

    “Geoff many thanks for your email regarding Val sad news indeed. I have such fond memories of meeting and walking with Val during my time with AWW.
    Best wishes to all “
    Tina Fielder

    “Thanks for letting me know. I send Val an email in the beginning of February and had no reply. I had the feeling something was very wrong. It’s so sad she was such a pleasant and nice person the world is a poorer place without her.
    I was going to send you a mail to ask if you knew anything...”
    Ingrid

    “Thank you for letting us all know. I remember Val with great affection on our AWW walks. A lovely lady and so unassuming. Obviously, her treatment didn’t work, sadly.”
    Miriam and Ken

    “Oh, no. It is so sad. She was a lovely lady. “
    Jan

    “Please pass on our condolences. “
    Paul & Miriam

    “Poor Val, such a lovely lady……Colin always seemed to be her taxi to and from walks …... probably thought we were a bunch of loonies.”
    Ros

    “A charming lady and delightful walking companion.....so sorry.”
    Rod

    “Sad news from you yesterday. Neither Julie or I knew Val, but we both enjoyed her recent blog from Kent which we found very uplifting in the circumstances. Best wishes to Colin.”
    Tony & Julie
    “We only met her a few times on walks, but she was always jovial, good company and we really liked her blog of her walk in the great Kent countryside at : https://hopejandh.blogspot.com/2020/12/aww-lock-down-walk-uk-kent-branch-of.html
    RIP Val”
    Geoff & Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information.

      I haven´t known Val that well. For what I remember she seemed a very nice lady. May she rest in peace.

      I will be attending Val`s funeral in spirit .

      Be safe

      Isabel

      Delete
  10. " I remember Val with affection, she was always first on the list to walk with me. RIP you will be remembered.
    Terry ( Ames"

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Yves:

    A bit late, sorry!

    Perhaps you may wish to pass this picture of Val to her family?
    It does show a happy and friendly lady who was a joy to be with.
    She will be missed...



    Yves

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. goodfarewells Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. https://good-farewells12.blogspot.com/2021/10/the-best-singapore-good-farewells.html

    ReplyDelete