Thursday 14 February 2019

AWW 2019-02-13 We never did see Cansino

For the second week running, the cafe at the meeting point was shut but, bearing in mind the literally life-threatening consequences of this, I took an emergency flask of the caffeinated stuff (Lidl's Gold Instant, there are limits you know). Most people agreed (I think) that it was "better than nothing".

Here are the starters, at the actual start point, all ready to start:

Take 1: (Sarah almost ready)


and Take 2: (Sarah with us ... finally ... <sigh> ...)


I then told them, if memory serves, that the walk would test them to their limits and beyond, they would likely be stung horribly by massed bees, and they would get lost if they didn't listen carefully to my every command (and be found weeks later, lonely, bleached skeletons). I can't remember exactly ...

Despite all this, we set off up a small hill, followed by a looooong downhill. Easy!


Through lots of blackened woodland, past a signpost to Cansino:


Past a couple of buildings, hurriedly abandoned so we could use them as toilets (Homens to the left, Senhoras to the right):
 They can't be much longer, can they?

... and onwards and downwards, reaching the first of our three Lowest Points:


Finally (thank goodness) a nice bit of uphill!

People tried to chainsaw some trees down to prevent us continuing, but they mercifully fell short:



Up to the ridge. (Did I mention that the valley on our left marks the border between the Algarve and the Alentejo?)

... and along ...

Past another signpost to Cansino ...


To the lunch spot (Yes, Sue and Russell got there first, despite my directions):



Did I mention that the valley in front of us marks the border 
between the Algarve and the Alentejo? 

And after precisely 20 minutes we all went downhill again (I'm just saying), to the second of our three Lowest Points, where we teetered elegantly across the stream on some stones I had lobbed in the week before (although Geoff's Crossing was especially elegant, I think):


Easy enough over here!


And then we reached the Final Up; 3km of lovely uphill slog, halfway up marking, for some of us at least, the third of our three Lowest Points:


... and then back to the meeting point, where the cafe was open (Hurrah!)

Dreadlocked Dog (Ewww)



Stats: 
Start Time: 10:20 End Time: 14:33
Distance: 16.34km
Total ascent: 823m (a bit more than I expected, actually :-) )


Many thanks to John D and Geoff for their photos.









3 comments:

  1. Looking good, I'm walking with the Corralejo Walkers here on Fuerteventura where the temperatures are currently close to 30 degrees. I may be back for the 27th Februarybefore I head off to the Southern Hemisphere for three weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once photos have been downloaded into the Blog, they can be enlarged if necessary by right-clicking on them and then selecting a larger size from the selection bar that appears underneath them. "X-large" selection is usually best, so I have now done that for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reckon that last uppy bit was the worst/(best?) hill I've ever encountered with the AWW ( no, that's NOT a challenge Russell). Now recovered, must say the lunch view and the weather were stupendous, well organised Terry...in fact, the best AWW lunch spot I can recall ( now, that is a challenge!)

    ReplyDelete