Saturday 15 June 2024

Marathon in the heat at Funcho

After about 10 minutes driving I realised I'd left my phone at home.  Disaster!  Then I didn't want to be late.  Chanced it hoping I wasn't going to be involved with a car crash.  

Walk started from Café Silva in Vale Fuzieros.  There were 19 of us:

Ken, Gill, Jim, Ness, Miriam, Jan, Steve, Sue, Karen, Tim, Fiona. , Bruce, Steve. Terry, Robert  with Linda, Toby and Alan in the front.  I think Bica’s hiding behind Toby?  I do remember her being there!

At this point I must say welcome back to Jim who has been suffering and is now like a spring lamb having had 2 hip replacements.

As Geoff, who was to have led the walk was unwell, I, Sue, deputised.  I had full instructions as to where to go and although a little nervous to begin with, took it all in my stride (pardon the pun) as we went along.  Incidentally this was the FIRST walk I have led despite the fact I’ve been an AWW for many years. 

 I overheard Jan saying: “This is going to be an easy one”.  Hmmm thought I but did not want to interfere or disillusion her.

We walked over the road and up the hill passing the graves, seen many times, plus an unusual tree stump:


We walked along the road then up and down hills .........




until we came to Barragem Funcho


We walked alongside the Barragem and along paths to the Girl Guide Crossroads.  At this stage our dear friend Jim, not wanting to push his luck, departed in order to make his way back to Café Silva.

 NB We were doing a recce several years ago and there were a group of Girl Guides at these particular crossroads, hence our name for them.


Getting hot!

We carried on up the hill and found ourselves back at the Barragem.  As we were walking along, I had the impression certain people were getting impatient for lunch and questioning whether the walk was longer than my dear husband had said in his email.  I was just following instructions……………….

 


We stopped for lunch in a nice shady spot.  At this stage certain people were getting agitated about appointments they had, after the walk. Again, I was questioned about the length of the walk and whether there were other ways in which to return.  By this stage it was hot and people were worried about having insufficient water.

 


Refreshed we carried on walking until we eventually found ourselves back at the good old Girl Guide Crossroads.



Then we walked along tracks to the Snail Farm.  I gave everyone the option of going the scenic, but slightly longer way, or walking straight down to the road.  The latter is long and boring.   Everyone except Linda and I went on the road. 

I think everyone was relieved to be back at Café Silva for a welcome drink!  Also I think some wished they had taken the shorter route which Jim did!  Still I/we never got lost!

Apparently, we walked  18.5 km not the 16 km Geoff had said the walk was going to be. Once home I told Geoff who sent out emails apologising for his miscalculation!  Despite a number of moans I was only doing as directed! 

Luckily I managed to drive home safely despite not having my mobile phone with me!

Thanks to Alan for photos and Terry M for map.





Sue



 

 



3 comments:

  1. Well done Sue, and well done walkers. I am afraid my guess of 16kms was based on the 10kms we have done in 2.5 hours on a Monday Walk.....the first loop...plus I guessed 6 for the second loop. We have done the totality many times, but as 2 separate walks. Problem was, I had forgotten that the Monday Walk started from Casa da Vinha, in the middle of the village, not Silva at the other end of the village. That accounts for most of the 2.5kms discrepency. Must say, I don't recognise that crossroads after you had lunch though! Anyway, as one walker commented, " memorable".

    ReplyDelete
  2. In retrospect it was fine!! At the time it was jolly hot and long but …. As I always say - I’m grateful to anyone who leads a walk!!! Thanks Sue and Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Sue, we didn’t get lost and we all made it back safe and sound. Lovely views at the baragem. Goes to show how fit we all are even though the wheels are falling off some of us.

    ReplyDelete