Thursday 30 May 2024

There and Back again



The Hobble, or There and Back Again



Dear Diary,

------------------------------------------

Friday, 24th: Today 3 people joined my little walk, which I had advertised thus:

"As the temperature seems to be climbing, I decided against the 'middle of nowhere with lots of hills and no shade' option, and would like to do a new variation on the 'fairly flat' walk along the banks of the Arade from Silves.

It is a there-and-back walk, but I always think the views are different on the return leg...

Meet at the Car Park in Silves, next to the Chapim Cafeteria Lounge Bar, for a 10 o'clock start. We will car-share to the start of the walk, so I'll need to know who's intending to walk, please.

Distance approx 16km. Mostly on very good tracks but some are a bit overgrown in places. Nice views. (Only) about 100m climb/descent."

So, Me, David, Kieran, Fiona. We should all fit in one car, then!

Note to self: Must sort out a start time. David thinks 9:30 would be better, and I think he's right...
------------------------------------------

Saturday 25th: Good news! 2 more people, Tim and Jan, making 6 of us - we can fit in 2 cars!
------------------------------------------

Sunday 26th: Just the 6 of us, then.

Note to self: Must sort out a start time ...
------------------------------------------

Monday 27th: Ros thinks we should start at 9. Linda said she (and Toby) wouldn't walk, but changed her mind when I told her about the proposed 9:30 start. Steve and Bruce joined. So, a net gain of 4 people, as Julie and Tony joined (but no reply to my request to start at 9:30) but Kieran dropped a table on his (bare) foot (ouch!) and cried off. Everyone else replied and agreed a 9:30 start. So that's good!

So, er, 10 (or possibly 8) people, 1 dog. Two or three cars, then....
------------------------------------------

Tuesday 28th: Let me see ... Alan, Martin (and Rafa) joined. Jan says "Pls confirm start time. Tony and Julie thinks it's 10.00??", so I replied "It's definitely 9:30. I replied to your email, Julie - perhaps it went to spam? Everyone else has replied 😁"

12 (or maybe 10) people, 2 dogs. Three cars then.

Update 16:15: Ros says "Would you like me to pick you up at the bins" This must mean she's walking as well!! 13 people!

Update 16:43: Marian has joined. 14, or 12, people.
Update 18:35: Marian isn't coming after all. 13 people, or 11
Update 23:02: Marian is coming after all. 14 or 12 people.
Update 23:06: Julie says "My fault. I knew it was 9:30.  I got your reply I just didn’t tell Tony 😂😂 . I would have told him before the walk 😁😁 "

Definitely 14 people then!
------------------------------------------

Wednesday 29th: No sign of Jan ... Ah, here we are, an email "Sorry, won't be joining today. Bad night. Enjoy."

13 people, 2 dogs. Definitely 4 cars then.

Wow, how many AWW leaders can claim to have lost over 10% before the walk even started?

------------------------------------------

I will describe the walk Frank-style: "The walk was fine. It was hot. We saw a snake. Here are the pictures."


Arvad, as far as the eye can see


Aye, it's just north of Barnsley ...


Yes, this bit's the VA


In the shade

I'd better lead this bit



The path's here, somewhere ...



Did somebody say there was a snake?

Yes. The snake

I thought he said it was flat?

A splendid view of the A22


Little monkeys!




He definitely said it was flat






    Silves, on the way back

    I'm sure the cars were round the last bend





Track, Stats:



Length: 16km (ish), a fairly flat 160m of climb/descent (but opinions vary). 9:40 to 14:20, so 4.5 hrs.

Thanks to Alan for the (excellent, as ever) photos, with a special guest appearance of "The Snake", by Martin


PostScript:

Update 19:38: Marian says "Thanks a million for today’s lovely but hot walk. It’s really great seeing the gang again."



5 comments:

  1. A round baker's dozen in the end , must be nice to be warm! Hope to be joining you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, before walk comments!!! I lost 50% walkers and 60% four legged friends once but that was during the walk. 10% not bad!!! Sorry, that I had to cry off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great commentary and many thanks for the walk Terry . I’m sure you told us about the lack of altitude gain but what about the heat. 🐫🐫

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda and Toby30 May 2024 at 19:59

    Thanks Terry for the great day. Toby loved the cool water. Fab photos Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice walk with some unexpectedly lovely views. The route back was definitely longer than the out. A welcome short blog, unlike the preamble/half marathon. Thanks Terry.

    ReplyDelete